Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Recipe {Rice Bowl}

Ok, so I don't know about you all but I love Chipotle- especially their rice bowls.  So when I came across the Chipotle "look-alike" recipes I had to try.  I'm telling you- these recipes combined make the rice bowl taste EXACTLY like I ordered it from Chipotle.  I have compiled my favorites to make this one great Chipotle-like dish.  This is the perfect recipe to make for when you have guests over because it makes a lot.  For me though, I just like the leftovers (fact).

So here's the run down on how my Chipotle rice bowl looks:

I start with the rice.

Cilantro Lime Rice (recipe from here)

1 T oil or butter
2 c basmatti rice
3 1/2 c water
1/2 c lime juice
1/2 t salt
4 T cilantro, chopped

Heat oil in saucepan. Add rice and cook over med-high heat until rice turns opaque white. Don't brown.
Add lime juice, water, and salt. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 20 min.
Fluff with fork and add cilantro.

Then I layer on the carnitas (pulled pork, essentially) 

Carnitas (recipe from here)
4-5 lb pork shoulder
1 onion
1 T corriander seed
1 T cumin
1 T oregano
1 T thyme
1 T juniper berries
2 bay leaves
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1-2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
8 oz can of tomato sauce

Salt and pepper the roast. Sear on all sides. Put in crock pot.
In same skillet, cook onion until soft (5 min) Add garlic and spices. Cook for 1 min more.
Add chipotles and tomato sauce to deglaze pan.
Pour on top of roast. Cook on low 6-8 hours. Shred roast and return to sauce.

Then I put mounds and mounds of corn salsa on.  Seriously- this is what makes the rice bowl. 

Corn Salsa (recipe from here)
6 Ears Sweet Yellow Corn
2 Poblano Chilies
1/2 Red Onion
2 Red Jalapenos
1/3 Cup Chopped Cilantro
1 Tablespoon Lime Juice
Salt and Pepper to Taste

Roast the corn and Poblano chilies on a grill or BBQ and let cool. Cut the corn off the cob. Dice the Poblano chilies, onion, and red jalapenos. Combine all the ingredients and season to taste.

To top it all off I add my favorite salsa or chopped tomatoes, black beams, cheese, and sour cream (which, to make it like Chipotle's, just add a little milk to the sour cream).  There you have it!


Feel free to add your own toppings of choice- this is just what I put in my rice bowl! This recipe does take some time, but it's well worth it! 

So, friends, grab a margarita, relax, and enjoy! (This is the perfect comfort food for fall, too!)

{Katie}

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS